Health & Safety Manager
- Are you passionate about workplace safety in the transportation industry?
- Are you excited by the challenge of improving health and safety programs and implementing change across a group of diversified companies?
- Do you believe in fostering a culture of mentorship, trust and accountability?
Sutherland Group Enterprises is seeking a Health & Safety Manager in either our West Kelowna or Salmo BC offices to help lead our program improvement at Sutco Transportation and assist in best practice development across our group of companies.
The Sutherland Group
WHO WE ARE: Highly-integrated provider of broad-based solutions to the forestry industry and beyond.
WHAT WE DO: Ensure that the new tightly coupled, environmentally sustainable forestry industry runs smoothly and efficiently.
SERVICES WE PROVIDE: Roadbuilding, harvesting, processing and transportation including raw materials, residuals, finished goods and heavy machinery.
WHY WE ARE UNIQUE:
- Family owned, operated and values oriented
- Creative problem solvers with unparalleled domain expertise
- Environmentally focused and technology forward
- Professional, safety first and always reliable and dependable
Responsibilities and Duties
- Develop, maintain and monitor the Occupational Health and Safety Program and all applicable documentation.
- Provide leadership, mentoring and direction to managers, supervisors and employees in safety and incident prevention activities.
- Ensure Occupational Health and Safety roles and responsibilities are clearly defined, understood and acted upon by managers, supervisors, Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee members and all employees.
- Manage the Modified Work Program, ensuring return-to-work plans are executed efficiently in a way that meets WSBC expectations and respects the worker. Manage all communication between injured workers, Sutco, claims consultants and WSBC. Ensure timely reporting of injuries to internal and external parties
- Ensure that regular inspections, hazard analysis, risk assessments and audits are conducted.
- Provide support and guidance during workplace investigations.
- Administer and maintain incident reporting systems to ensure compliance with company and Government Regulatory requirements and identify patterns and trends that require interventions.
- Utilize incident and cause analysis to provide direction and recommendations on how to mitigate/control losses.
- Ensure an adequate corrective action process is applied to inspections, incident investigations, trend analysis, internal audits and orders from regulatory bodies.
- Engage in the Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee, ensuring an effective and educated committee.
- Produce reports and statistical information, analyze trends and present findings and/or recommendations to internal and external stakeholders.
- Conduct, facilitate and coordinate training sessions for management, supervisors, employees, Joint OHS Committee members and new hires on Occupational Health and Safety practices, legislation and industry changes.
- Maintain the Drug & Alcohol Programs (Canadian and US DOT)
- Provide leadership in the investigations of work place incidents/accidents, ensure proper supporting documentation through training, coaching, mentoring and leading investigations as required.
- Work with insurance company on claims; make sure they are dealt with timely and effectively.
- Monitor National Safety Code Profile and analyzed trends; help structure/implement changes to maintain satisfactory standings.
- Monitor changing regulations that affect the company; help structure/implement processes to address the changes.
Qualifications & Skills
- Formal education in Occupational Health & Safety is required.
- CRSP preferred.
- Considerable tact and discretion
- Proven experience in technical writing, process and procedure development.
- Strong organizational, planning and management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with critical thinking and analytical skills, including the ability to thoughtfully and effectively present technical analysis.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite.
- Must maintain a valid Class 5 driver’s licence and the ability to travel to the USA.
- Understanding of or experience in the transportation industry is an asset.